Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

A little Inspiration

When I was in grade five, I would have been around nine, I grew really close to my teacher. I was a shy, scrawny, girl with glasses and a eye patch (yep pirate style, I have a weak eye), but this teacher I bonded with. She was kind, and keep reassuring me that in time I would grow up and be someone who would do great things. I can still remember what she said to me when she retired a couple years later. She had just finished hugging some other teachers and students when she looked at me and gave a weak smile, and then pulled me into a hug and whispered; "I'll see you in ten years when your a Prime Minister, a Doctor, a Lawyer, an Academic..". Talk about big shoes to fill. Anyways my digression has a point, this wonderful teacher gave me a beautiful poetry book because she knew I liked it. "Moments of Meditation" by Albert DeConkey, is a beautiful book filled with inspirational short poems. There is one poem in particular that has always spoken to me, "Be the Best" by Douglas Malloch.

If you can't be a pine on the top of the hill
Be a scrub in the valley--but be
The best little scrub by the side of the rill;
Be a bush if you can't be a tree.

If you can't be a bush be a bit of the grass,
Doing something for somebody's sake;

If you can't be a muskie then just be a bass--

But the liveliest bass in the lake!

We can't all be captains, we've got to be crew,
There's something for all of us here.
There's big work to do and there's lesser to do,
And the task we must do is the near.

If you can't be a highway then just be a trail,
If you can't be the sun be a star;
It isn't by size that you win or you fail--
Be the best of whatever you are!

In a blog related fashion, I strongly recommend everyone to go to your library and read this. Maybe find your favorite inspirational poem within the covers. Every time I'm having a stressful day and feel like quitting, I think back to this poem. Even though my problems seem monumental and overwhelming, I remember that they will pass and the hard journey will be worth it.

This one goes out to a very special teacher that makes me believe in the power that one person can have on someone's life, and make them Believe.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah that poem is *beautiful*!! And what a sweet memory to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah-- Amelia's intro post was just prior to mine over at Bloggers Unite. Visited her blog the other day and liked it so much I went back to BU to search for more gems. Your intro post was just prior to hers-- What luck! Your blog is interesting too so here I am following. Love the title and the fact that you blog more than just reviews.

    Oh, aren't the special teachers wonderful. I fondly remember all the teachers who made an impact on my life. One of my teachers is on FB and I was able to thank him-- he is 94 now.

    ReplyDelete

Nothings better than a comment! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails